I try not to get all up in arms about politically correct speech. I hate it when Bill'O does it and I hate to think I might be seen as agreeing with him on anything at all. Still, there are many things about extreme political correctness that really bug me. It's beyond this post to explain why it is that I think we as a culture have gone beyond the needed bounds of politically correctness in the name of multiculturalism. As some sort of explanation of the outer bounds of political correctness in my eyes let me just say this.

I cannot imagine that the story of the three little pigs, no matter how dressed up in newfangled technology and story lines, could ever be seen as being anti-Muslim or anti-blue collar worker

Still, the 3-D digital pop up book named "The Three Little Cowboy Builders" was rejected by the British governments Bett awards because of "concerns about the Asian community and the use of pigs raises cultural issues," and "could not recommend this product to the Muslim community," as well as saying it might, "alienate parts of the workforce (building trade)." according to the BBC (read the article)

I must say I have not read the story, but how can a book which has already won awards such as the British ERA awards be that bad. And I have a hard time believing that this lady is really that much of a racist pig, pardon the pun.

I do understand that the term "cowboy builder" has a much different meaning in the UK than it does here. It is akin to "fly-by-night" contractors here in the States, people who overcharge for work which they are under qualified to perform. Still, from the interview it sounds like this is meant to be an object lesson in why you need to learn things rather than a dig at the building profession.

I somehow thought that Muslims were not against pigs, simply against eating them. Since when did a moslem care that pigs are eaten by wolves or that there might be a talking pig in the story? What does this have to do with "Asians" even by the UK definition (i.e.-Indian subcontinent). This has nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with religion. Why mince words and in so doing lump all south Asians together in this. I don't think Hindu's or Sikh's give a damn about this, and I would wager that a vast majority of Muslim clerics could care less as well.

The thing that ticks me off about it is that it seems to trample on the one thing that good education hopes to stimulate, free, creative thought and expression. If everything that is possibly offensive is taken off the table what is left? We certainly wouldn't have any more Duchamp Urinals, for better or worse.

Oh, well. Thanks for listening to my Bill O'Reilly rant. I hope I haven't taken too many cues from his playbook. Let me know what you think, especially if you have seen the book in person or are a teacher with opinions.