I guess I wasn't far off.

In the end, it was a single moment that brought the hostage crisis to its dramatic finish.

Three gunshots. All three fatal. Fired in the dark by three specially trained U.S. Navy SEALs as the pirates' boat rocked in the water off Somalia.

"Phenomenal shots -- 75 feet away," said Navy Vice Adm. Bill Gortney, who oversees the region.

A senior defense official said each was a shot to the head.


This article says everything I expected and a bit i didn't about how the pirate hostage standoff ended. 75 feet isn't that far, but apparently from what I've read the only reason they got that close was that the pirates agreed to be towed out of rough water by a Navy boat.

Ever tried to hit a moving target with your .22 while standing on one leg? That might barely approximate the difficulty of nailing a head shot in rolling waves. Now imagine three people doing that within a split second. And imagine dealing with the nerves that come with violence, and knowing that an innocent hostage could easily die if you are off target or your timing is slightly wrong.

Although I can't say I'd want to do what they do, the Navy Seals definitely have shown their skill. Wow!!!